2013 J1 Visa Jobs Review | H1Base

J1 Visa Jobs 2013The J1 Visa is otherwise known as the "exchange visitor" visa, and it's intended for non-immigrants to work, teach and study on a temporary basis in the United States -- in many cases, it's used by au pairs, physicians and students. The stated intent of the program is to "foster global understanding through educational and cultural exchanges," and more than 170,000 people are in the U.S. on a J1 visa in any given month. But in terms of how it works, the J1 visa works very differently from other work visa programs, so it's very important for potential participants to know all the relevant J1 visa rules and requirements.

For one thing, the J1 visa carries with it a Mandatory Home Residence requirement (also known as the "Physical Presence" rule). Under normal circumstances, the J1 visa program participants who've completed the program are expected to return to their home country for a two-year period before they can reapply for another U.S. work visa (usually a dual-intent visa like the H1B Visa). The reasoning behind this regulation being that J1 participants are expected to bring knowledge gained in the U.S. back to their homelands, where it can help to benefit other citizens. But, in some cases, the United States Government will grant a waiver for the j1 visa to forego this requirement. See the section below on "J1 Visa Waiver for Home Residence Requirement."

The J1 Visa is also significant for the way that visa sponsorship works. Unlike other work visas -- where your direct employer will file the visa once employment has been arranged -- the J1 exchange visitor visa requires sponsorship by an approved organization, either governmental or private. Visa holders also can't enter the country any sooner than 30 days prior to beginning the J-1 program, and must depart from the country no later than the "grace period" of 30 days following completion of the program.

Review of J1 Rules & Requirements for 2013

Aside from being eligible for entry into the U.S., there are also a few additional requirements that you need to fulfill in order to get (and keep) a J-1 Visa:

Get a Job Offer: As of 2011, the U.S. State Department requires candidates to obtain a job/residence/internship offer with an employer or host family before getting a visa interview. In six specified countries -- Bulgaria, Russia, Romania, Ukraine, Moldova and Belarus -- it must first be confirmed by a sponsoring organization that students have an offer before they can apply for a visa. Due to this new regulation, it's important to get an early start on the visa hiring and application processes.

Obtain Sponsorship Through a Designated Organization: To get a J-1 visa, applicants first have to be accepted by a designated sponsor. Not only do these sponsors oversee the application process, but they also function as the J-1 visa holder's primary point of contact while they're in the program. They will also issue you a form DS-2019 "Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status," which is necessary to complete the J1 visa process.

Submit Required Documents: To obtain a J1, you'll also need to submit a slew of documentation. These include the Form DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility), which is issued by your sponsorship organization; a valid passport for travel to the U.S.; Online Form DS-160 (nonimmigrant visa application); a visa application fee receipt; a 2x2 photograph; and any other supporting documentation that may be required by a specific embassy or consulate.

Complete a Visa Interview: In order to get a J1 visa, candidates also must complete an interview at their local embassy or consulate. As an applicant, you have to demonstrate that (1) you plan to stay in the U.S. for a temporary or limited period; (2) you have the funds or will be paid enough to cover your expenses in the U.S.; and (3) you have "compelling social and economic ties abroad" that will ensure your return to your home country at the conclusion of your visit.

Adhere to Reporting Requirements: Holders of the J1 visa are required to report specified information -- such as alteration of legal name or change of address -- to their sponsoring organization within 10 days of any change that may occur. Any participant who fails to do this will be considered a violation of immigration status and can possibly cause the termination of their exchange program.

H1Base Reviews J1 Jobs & Occupations for 2013

The J1 Visa covers a variety of different occupations, positions and programs; each category explicitly defines the purpose or type of intercultural exchange under its own terms. Although most J-1 categories are specified by federal regulations, while others have been implied by regulatory language. Check with your consulate or embassy for more information about these categories.

Categories for private sector programs include Alien Physician, Au Pair and EduCare, Camp Counselor (often for American Summer Camps), Internships, Student (Secondary Schools), Work/Travel (Note: numerous pilot programs for various countries also exist in this category), Teacher and Trainee. Flight Training was once covered under this visa, but this category was terminated in 2010. Categories for Government and Academic Programs include Government Visitor, International Visitor, Professor and Research Scholar, Short-Term Scholar, Specialist and Student (College/University).

H1Base Review of Designated J-1 Sponsorship Organizations for 2013

As we mentioned earlier, only designated organizations (and not direct employers) are eligible to sponsor J1 visitors during their stay in the United States. Organizations currently designated to sponsor J1 visas for 2013 include:

A Cultural Exchange Service Inc., Alliance Abroad Group L.P., American Australian Association, American Australian Association, American Camp and Work Experience, American Exchange Organization Inc, American Hospitatlity Academy, American Institute for Foreign Study - Campower Program, American Institute for Foreign Study Inc, American Pool Enterprises Inc, American Work Adventures Inc., American Work Experience, ASSE International Inc, Camp Counselors USA/Work Experience USA, Camp Wayne for Boys, CampGroup LLC, CENET Cultural Exchange Network, Center for Cultural Interchange, Center on International Educational Exchange, CSB International Inc, Cultural Homestay International, Cultural Vistas Inc., Dynamic Global Exchange Inc, Educational Resource Development Trust, GeoVisions, Global Career Exchange Inc., Global Educational Concepts Inc, Greenwood Lake Gaelic Cultural Society Inc, ICEPWORLD USA, Interexchange INC, International Cultural Exchange Organization Inc, International Culture and Career Exchange Inc., International Educational Exchange Inc, International Exchange of North America, Intrax Work/Travel, Ireland Institute of Pittsburgh, Janus International Hospitality Student Exchange, Life Adventures Inc, Philadelphia International Institute, Signature Services Corporation, Spirit Cultural Exchange, The Foundation for Worldwide International Student Exchange, U.S.-Ukraine Foundation, United States Inc, University of Louisville, Walt Disney World, and World Wide Cultural Exchange.

Review of Home Residency Requirement and J1 Waiver for 2013

Upon completing their visit, J1 visa participants are usually required to return to their home country for a mandatory two-year period (called a "home residency" or "physical presence" requirement) before they can re-enter the United States on another visa. In principle, this is because the program is designed so that participants will bring their newly acquired skills home to benefit their country of origin. However, the State Department will grant waivers under these conditions:

Obtaining a No Objection Statement: In some cases, your country of origin might be willing to issue a "no objection" letter that will allow you to waive the physical presence requirement. To obtain one, J1 participants can contact their country's embassy/consulate in Washington, D.C. for mor information. Rules and regulations regarding the issuance of a no objection statement vary widely from country to country, however, and some countries might not be willing to do this at all.

Exceptional Hardship: If returning to one's home country would cause exceptional hardship to a J-1 participant's dependents (who, generally speaking, have to be U.S. Citizens or green card holders), then they might be eligible for this type of J1 waiver.

Persecution: If a J1 participant can show that they can be persecuted in their home country on the basis of race, gender, creed, etc, then they could be eligible for a home residency waiver. In most senses, this is virtually identical to applying for asylum or refugee status under U.S. Immigration Law.

Interested Government Agency: If the J-1 holder is working for a U.S. Federal Government Agency or is working on a project that furthers its interests, then it's possible to get one of these waivers. However, the Government agency has to show that it would be detrimental if the J1 visitor were to depart for their home country.

Participation in the Conrad Program (Physicians and Medical Students): This waiver is issued to foreign physicians and medical students who have full-time job offers with healthcare facilities in underserved areas of the United States, or at facilities that serve patients from these professional shortage areas.

How to Find a J1 2013 Visa Job

To get a J1 Visa, you'll need to know which companies and organizations sponsor and hire tend to take on international citizens participating in this particular type of visa program. Generally speaking, it's an absolute waste of time your time to search large, generalized American job boards -- approximately 99% of the listings on these sites are are for domestic U.S. workers and students; therefore, it's virtually impossible to determine which employers or organizations are even considering J1 candidates for their their employment needs.

Are you currently trying to obtain visa sponsorship and employment with top organizations companies that hire and sponsor J1 candidates? Check out H1base's partner site, AmericaVisaJobs, and access their cutting-edge J1 Visa Job Search Engine, which will help to match you with U.S. visa-sponsoring employers and organizations. You can also visit their J1 Visa Questions Page to get assistance and find out more information about obtaining J1 Visa Sponsorship and Employment. Or sign up for AmericaVisaJobs and begin your J1 job search today. START HERE

More Free H1Base Reviews & Reports

H1 Base Review of the 10 Top H1B Sponsor Companies

H1 Base Review of the 10 Top Locations to obtain H1B jobs and visas

H1 Base reviews Work Visa Options for Foreign nationals

H1 Base Review of the Green Card Lottery

H1 Base Reviews H1B Cap Statistics

H1 Base Reviews H1B visa 2013

H1Base Reviews How to Get a 2013 (FY2014) H1B Visa

H1base Reviews H1B Visa Jobs 2013

H1Base Reviews H2B Visa Jobs 2013

H1Base Reviews OPT / CPT Jobs 2013

H1Base Reviews TN1 Visa Jobs 2013 (NAFTA Work Permit)

H1Base Reviews November 2012 Jobs and Unemployment Report

H1Base Reviews E3 Visa Jobs 2013