F1 Student Visa - to Study in the USA

Do You want to obtain an F1 visa to study in the USA ?
- if you do read below about the process, FAQ's and requirements to get an F1 visa.

Or, are you already a student on F1 visa status who wants to find a job to obtain a work visa, to stay in the USA ?
- if you do and you qualify for OPT continue here >, or if you want to obtain an H1B visa continue here >

If you're overseas and want to study in the USA, there are two student visa categories available:

1) The primary USA study visa is an F1 visa which is for 'academic' studies, and
2) the second type of study visa is an M visa is for 'nonacademic or vocational' studies.

How to Obtain a Visa to Study in the USA
The first step for a prospective student is being accepted for enrollment in an established school (University/College) which is SEVP certified . In general, for academic students, including those in language training, F1 visas are the appropriate category, and for nonacademic vocational students an M visa is the appropriate category

Student F1 Visa interviews will require the following documentation:
- Your Form I-20
- SEVIS I-901 receipt
- Signed passport (must be valid for 6 months after entry into the US)
- Transcripts or diplomas from current or previous institutions
- Program of study description
- Accommodation information
- Evidence of funds to cover tuition and living expenses for either the length of
your study or one year, whichever is shorter.

- Your local US Embassy/Consulate might require additional forms such as
DS-156, DS-157A, DS-158A. They are available online or at your local embassy/consulate.
Once you are granted a U.S. entrance visa , notify the school of your expected arrival date, and obtain a new I-20 if the dates have been deferred. Also, be sure to confirm your housing and transportation arrangements in advance of your departure from your home country. Keep in mind that you can enter the U.S. no more than 30 days before your program start date.

Upon arrival at a United States Port of Entry you must present:
Your Form I-20, signed by the DSO of the school you will attend
Your I-94
A valid visa containing your SEVIS identification number and the name of the school you will be attending (BIR)
Financial documentation
A valid passport

The Customs and Border Protection inspector will stamp your Form I-20 and Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record Form) after determining that you are eligible for entry. This document is proof that you entered the U.S. legally. You should keep the Form I-94 safe throughout your stay in the U.S.
Back to top

F1 Visa FAQ's:

When Do I Need to Apply for My USA Student Visa?
Students are encouraged to apply for their visa early to provide ample time for visa processing. Students may apply for their study visa as soon as they are prepared to do so. Students should note that Embassies and Consulates are able to issue your USA student visa 120 days or less, in advance of the course of study registration date. If you apply for your study visa more than 120 days prior to your start date or registration date as provided on the Form I-20, the Embassy or Consulate will hold your application until it is able to issue the visa. Consular officials will use that extra time for application processing. Students are advised of the Department of Homeland Security regulation which requires that all initial or beginning students enter the U.S. 30 days or less in advance of the course of study start/report date as shown on the Form I-20. Please consider this date carefully when making travel plans to the U.S. A beginning student who wants an earlier entry into the U.S. (more than 30 days prior to the course start date), must qualify for, and obtain a visitor visa. A prospective student notation will be shown on his/her visitor visa and the traveler will need to make the intent to study clear to the U.S. immigration inspector at port of entry. Before beginning any studies, he or she must obtain approval for a change to Exchange Visitor status, filing Form I-539 , Application for Change of Nonimmigrant Status and pay the fee. Also you must submit the required Form I-20 to the Department of Homeland Security office where the application is made. Please be aware that one can not begin studies until the change of classification is approved. Continuing students may apply for a new visa at any time, as long as they have been maintaining student status and their SEVIS records are current. Continuing students may also enter the USA at any time before their classes start.

What is SEVIS and SEVP? What should prospective students know about it?
The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) is designed to help the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Department of State better monitor school and exchange programs and F1, M1 and J1 visa category visitors. Exchange visitor and student information is maintained in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). SEVIS is an Internet-based system that maintains accurate and current information on non-immigrant students (F1 and M visa), exchange visitors (J1 visa), and their dependents (F2, M2, and J2). SEVIS enables schools and program sponsors to transmit mandatory information and event notifications via the Internet, to the DHS and Department of State (DOS) throughout a student or exchange visitor's stay in the United States. Select SEVIS to go to the DHS, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Internet site and learn more. All student applicants must have a SEVIS generated I-20 issued by an educational institution approved by DHS, which they submit when they are applying for their student visa. Your school is responsible for entering your information for the I-20 student visa form into SEVIS. The consular officer will need to verify your I-20 record electronically through the SEVIS system in order to process your student visa application. Unless otherwise exempt, all F-1 or M-1 principal applicants must pay a SEVIS I-901 fee to the DHS for each individual program. See the SEVP Fact Sheet for a fee list. See SEVIS-901 Fee for further information on how to pay the fee.

Qualifying for a USA Study Visa
The Immigration and National Act is very specific with regard to the requirements which must be met by applicants to qualify for the student visa. The consular officer will determine whether you qualify for the visa. Additionally, applicants must demonstrate that they properly meet student visa requirements including: Have a residence abroad, with no immediate intention of abandoning that residence; Intend to depart from the United States upon completion of the course of study; and Possess sufficient funds to pursue the proposed course of study.

Applying for a F1 Student Visa
As part of the visa application process, an interview at the embassy consular section is required for visa applicants from age 14 through 79, with few exceptions. Persons age 13 and younger, and age 80 and older, generally do not require an interview, unless requested by embassy or consulate. The waiting time for an interview appointment for applicants can vary, so early visa application is strongly encouraged. Visa wait times for interview appointments and visa processing time information for each U.S. Embassy or Consulate worldwide is available on our website at Visa Wait Times , and on most embassy websites. Learn how to schedule an appointment for an interview, pay the application processing fee, review embassy specific instructions, and much more by visiting the Embassy or Consulate website where you will apply. During the visa application process, usually at the interview, an ink-free, digital fingerprint scan will be quickly taken. Some visa applications require further administrative processing , which takes additional time after the visa applicant's interview by a Consular Officer. Also, because each student’s personal and academic situation is different, two students applying for same visa may be asked different questions and be required to submit different additional documents.

Required USA Study Visa Documentation
Each applicant for a student visa must submit these forms and documentation as explained below: Form I-20A-B, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant F1 Student Status-For Academic and Language Students or Form I-20M-N, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant M1 Student Status for Vocational Students. Y

ou will need to submit a SEVIS generated Form, I-20, which was provided to you by your school.You and your school official must sign the I-20 form. See the previous section for SEVIS information. Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160. Visit our DS-160 webpage to learn more about the DS-160 online process. A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). If more than one person is included in the passport, each person desiring a visa must complete an application. One (1) 2x2 photograph. See the required photo format explained in Nonimmigrant Visa photograph requirements; A MRV fee receipt to show payment of the visa application fee. The SEVIS I-901 fee receipt. All applicants should be prepared to provide: Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended; Scores from standardized tests required by the educational institution such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc.; Financial evidence that shows you or your parents who are sponsoring you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended study. For example, if you or your sponsor is a salaried employee, please bring income tax documents and original bank books and/or statements. If you or your sponsor own a business, please bring business registration, licenses, etc., and tax documents, as well as original bank books and/or statements.

What are the Required F1 Visa Fees?
Nonimmigrant visa application processing fee - For current fees for Department of State government services select Fees. You will need to provide a receipt showing the visa application processing fee has been paid, when you come for your visa interview. Visa issuance fee – Additionally, if the visa is issued, there will be an additional visa issuance reciprocity fee, if applicable. Please consult the Visa Reciprocity Tables to find out if you must pay a visa issuance reciprocity fee and what the fee amount is. If there is a fee for issuance for the visa, it is equal as nearly as possible to the fee charged to United States citizens by the applicant's country of nationality.

Family: Spouses and Children of F1 Students
Applicants with dependents must also provide: Proof of the student’s relationship to his/her spouse and/or children (e.g., marriage and birth certificates.); It is preferred that families apply for F1 and F2 visas at the same time, but if the spouse and children must apply separately at a later time, they should bring a copy of the student visa holder’s passport and visa, along with all other required documents.

Additional Information for Students
No assurances regarding the issuance of visas can be given in advance. Therefore final travel plans or the purchase of non refundable tickets should not be made until a visa has been issued. Unless previously canceled, a visa is valid until its expiration date. Therefore, if the traveler has a valid U.S. visa in an expired passport, do not remove the visa page from the expired passport. You may use it along with a new valid passport for travel and admission to the United States.

Entering the USA to Study - Port of Entry
A visa allows a foreign citizen coming from abroad, to travel to the United States port-of entry and request permission to enter the USA. Applicants should be aware that a visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. The Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials have authority to permit or deny admission to the United States. Student visa visitors must have their Form I-20 in their possession each time they enter the United States. In advance of travel, students should review important information about Admissions/Entry requirements, as well as information related to restrictions about bringing food, agricultural products or other restricted/prohibited goods explained on the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection website. Upon arrival (at an international airport, seaport or land border crossing), you will be enrolled in the US-VISIT entry-exit program. In addition, some travelers will also need to register their entry into and their departure from the U.S. with the Special Registration program. If you are allowed to enter the USA, the CBP official will determine the length of your visit on the Arrival-Departure Record (Form I-94). Since Form I-94 documents your authorized stay in the USA, it’s very important to keep in your passport.

Staying Beyond Your Authorized Stay in the USA and Being Out of Visa Status
It is important that you depart the U.S. on or before the last day you are authorized to be in the U.S. on any given trip, based on the specified end date on your Arrival-Departure Record, Form I-94. Information on successfully maintaining your immigration status while a student or exchange visitor can be found on the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) website. Staying beyond the period of time authorized by the DHS causes you to be out-of-status in the United States, which is a violation of U.S. immigration laws. This may cause you to be ineligible for a visa in the future for return travel to the U.S. Select Classes of Aliens Ineligible to Receive Visas to learn more. Staying unlawfully in the United States beyond the date Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials have authorized, even by one day, results in your visa being automatically voided, in accordance with immigration law, INA 222(g). In this situation, you are required to reapply for a new nonimmigrant visa, generally in your country of nationality.

What Items Do Returning F1 Visa Students Need?
All applicants applying for renewals must submit: All items listed in the Required Documentation section and; A new I-20 or an I-20 that has been endorsed on the back by a school official within the past 12 months.

Students Away from Classes More Than Five Months
Students in or outside the USA, who have been away from classes for more than five months, will likely need a new visa to enter the USA

How long may I stay on my F1 Student visa?
When you enter the USA on a student visa, you will usually be admitted for the duration of your student status. That means you may stay as long as you are a full time student, even if the F1 visa in your passport expires while you are in America. For a student who has completed the course of studies shown on the I-20, and any authorized practical training, the student is allowed the following additional time in the U.S. before departure: F1 student - An additional 60 days, to prepare for departure from the USA or to transfer to another school.

M1 student - An additional 30 days to depart the USA (Fixed time period, in total not to exceed one year). The 30 days to prepare for departure is permitted as long as the student maintained a full course of study and maintained status. An M student may receive extensions up to three years for the total program. As an example regarding duration of status, if you have a visa that is valid for five years that will expire on January 1, 2009, and you are admitted into the U.S. for the duration of your studies (often abbreviated in your passport or on your I-94 card as "D/S"), you may stay in the USA as long as you are a full time student. Even if January 1 passes and your visa expires while in America, you will still be in legal student status. However, if you depart the USA with an expired visa, you will need to obtain a new one, applying at an Embassy abroad, before being able to return to America and resume your studies.

OPT: Optional Practical Training
Students who are authorized for Optional Practical Training (OPT) must have an I-20 endorsed for OPT, and provide a USCIS-issued Employment Authorization Document (EAD). When authorized, Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment that is directly related to the eligible F1 student’s area of study.

Attending Public Secondary School
There are certain restrictions on student F1 visa holders attending public school in the USA.

How Do I Extend My Stay in the USA?
Visitors who wish to stay beyond the date indicated on their Form I-94 are required to have approval by USCIS.

How Do I Change My Student Visa Status?
Some nonimmigrant visa holders, while present in the USA, are able to file a request which must be approved by USCIS to change to another nonimmigrant category. See Change My Nonimmigrant Status on the USCIS website. Important Note: Filing a request with USCIS for approval of change of status before your authorized stay expires, while you remain in the USA, does not by itself require the visa holder to apply for a new visa. However, if you cannot remain in the USA while USCIS processes your change of status request, you will need to apply for a nonimmigrant visa at a US. Embassy or Consulate abroad.

Further Student Visa Inquiries
Questions on study visa application procedures and visa ineligibilities should be made to the USA Embassy or Consulate abroad by the applicant.

If you are going to the USA primarily for tourism , but want to take a short course of study which is recreational, and the course is less than 18 hours per week, you may be able to do so on a visitor visa. If your course of study is 18 hours or more a week, you will need a student visa. When traveling to the U.S. to attend seminars or conferences for credit towards a degree, then you'll need a student visa.


Most Popular Next Pages:

Do You Want to Move to the USA ? - see the different and most popular USA visa options available - here >

Do You Want a Job in the USA ? - see the best ways to help you get a job and a work visa - start here > 

List of University Career Centers that have purchased our resources to help their students >